Non-native Species

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered at on 20 May 2024.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Holmes of Richmond Lord Holmes of Richmond Conservative

To ask His Majesty's Government whether DEFRA has the power to authorise individuals to release and catch non-native species, such as Asian hornets, for track and trace purposes.

Photo of Lord Douglas-Miller Lord Douglas-Miller The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Licenses for the release of non-native species after capture can be issued under the Invasive Alien Species (Enforcement and Permitting) Order 2019 and the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. The licensing authority for these licences is Natural England (NE).

The Licencing Authority may only grant licences for certain specified purposes. For example, where the release is part of a rapid eradication measure. NE have therefore granted licences where appropriate to allow for the release of Asian hornets (Vespa velutina).

Any interested party may submit an application to NE to obtain a licence. The application should include comprehensive supporting information to enable NE to make an informed decision on whether a licence can be issued. Any conditions as stipulated by NE upon the issue of the licence must be complied with.

In the case of Asian hornets, the conditions include but are not limited to the immediate reporting of any sightings of individual Asian hornets or their nests to the GB Non-native Species Secretariat. The individual must also regularly report to NE on how the licence has been used.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.