Sudan: Humanitarian Situation

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered at on 23 April 2024.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Minister of State, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, what steps his Department is taking as Penholder on Sudan at the UN Security Council to draw attention to the humanitarian crisis in Sudan; and if he will make it his policy to request (a) regular humanitarian briefings on Sudan at the Security Council and (b) a report to the Council with options for civilian protection mechanisms in Sudan in the absence of a political or peacekeeping mission.

Photo of Andrew Mitchell Andrew Mitchell Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) (Minister for Development), Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) (Minister for Development and Africa)

The UK has used its position as a Permanent Member of the UN Security Council and penholder on Sudan to call multiple meetings to take action in response to the conflict, to call for a ceasefire, and to discuss the dire humanitarian and human rights situation On 27 February, we called for the UN Security Council to convene for a closed consultation in response to the SAF's decision to withdraw permission for the movement of aid into Sudan from the Adre border crossing in Chad. On 8 March, the UK-led UN Security Council Resolution 2724 called for an immediate cessation of hostilities; unhindered humanitarian access; and for the UN Secretary-General Personal Envoy Ramtane Lamamra to complement and coordinate regional peace efforts. We continue to work with Council members to keep Sudan on the UNSC's agenda and to call for a cessation of hostilities, protection of civilians, and unhindered humanitarian access including at the next UK-requested Sudan Security Council meeting on 19 April.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.