Veterans: Health Services

Ministry of Defence written question – answered at on 3 April 2024.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Browne of Belmont Lord Browne of Belmont DUP

To ask His Majesty's Government what steps they are taking to streamline the transition of medical care from military services to the NHS for service leavers.

Photo of The Earl of Minto The Earl of Minto The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence

Where personnel leaving the Armed Forces have an enduring need for medical care, the Defence Medical Services (DMS) works in partnership with the NHS in each of the four nations. Wherever they live in the UK, all veterans are able to receive veteran specific health care support if they need it. Personnel who have been assessed and diagnosed with a mental health need are able to access Ministry of Defence (MOD) Departments of Community Mental Health for up to six months after discharge to provide continuity of care during the transition period until appropriate handover to other services can be completed as required.

DMS facilitates the transfer of healthcare information for all service personnel when they leave the Armed Forces. Programme CORTISONE will provide the ability to transfer a service person’s healthcare record in electronic form to a GP practice at the end of their service.

The Defence Recovery Capability is a MOD-owned capability designed to deliver programmed, command-led and coordinated support to wounded, injured and sick serving personnel. Each person who comes under the Defence Recovery Capability will get a tailored Individual Recovery Plan which enables them to focus on either their return to duty or transition to civilian life.

The Veterans Welfare Service and Defence Transition Service deliver additional support to service leavers and their families who are most likely to face challenges as they leave the Armed Forces, including facilitating access to NHS services.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.