Refugees: Homelessness

Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities written question – answered at on 22 January 2024.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tan Dhesi Tan Dhesi Shadow Minister (Exports)

To ask the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, what steps he plans to take to help (a) Afghan and (b) Ukrainian refugees avoid homelessness in winter 2023-24.

Photo of Felicity Buchan Felicity Buchan Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities)

The Government has welcomed nearly 200,000 Ukrainians through the Homes for Ukraine scheme and has provided £1.1 billion to councils through a tariff for each arrival in their area to support guests and sponsors. As set out previously, this funding was specifically designed to include support for LAs in the event that some sponsorships broke down. Most guests have, however, not needed to reply on homelessness support services. This year councils across the UK have been allocated £150 million to help prevent homelessness for Ukrainian households and others at risk of homelessness, with an additional £120 million available next year.

The vast majority of Afghans who were in bridging hotels have been supported to move into settled accommodation. We have provided a £35 million package for local authorities to increase support available to Afghans and help overcome the specific barriers in accessing the housing system, including £7,100 per person in flexible housing fund to help households into settled accommodation. There is also £9,150 per household available to local authorities for homelessness costs, and up to 6 months wraparound funding of £28 per person per day for those in temporary accommodation.

At Autumn Statement we announced £450 million for a third round of the Local Authority Housing Fund which follows the first two rounds of £750 million.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.