Sudan: Humanitarian Aid

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered at on 18 December 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Minister of State, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, with reference to the Answer of 23 November 2023 to Question HL568 in the House of Lords on Sudan: Humanitarian Aid, what progress he has made with international partners on (a) unfettered humanitarian access to Sudan and (b) the provision of continued support for the Sudanese people.

Photo of Andrew Mitchell Andrew Mitchell Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) (Minister for Development), Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) (Minister for Development and Africa)

The UK continues to press the warring parties to enable humanitarian access into and across Sudan, including by challenging bureaucratic and administrative impediments; and coordinates on this vital issue with our international partners and in international fora such as at the UN. The UK, alongside Norway, jointly funded the Sudan Humanitarian Conference which took place in Cairo from 18-20 November; an event that brought together Sudanese grassroots organisations, NGOs and the international humanitarian system to develop coordination mechanisms to give a greater voice to Sudanese organisations in the humanitarian response. The UK continues to fully support the UN-led humanitarian forum established during the latest round of Jeddah talks in October and launched on 13 November. Alongside international partners, we are supporting such mediation efforts, and urge both warring parties to engage constructively to secure short-term ceasefires and improvements in humanitarian access. The UK continues to provide assistance to the many people in need in Sudan through our humanitarian aid package of £36 million for 2023-2024.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.