Skin Diseases: Health Services

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered at on 6 December 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Shannon Jim Shannon Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Human Rights), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps her Department is taking to provide training to (a) GPs and (b) specialists to help improve the time taken to (i) diagnose and (ii) refer patients with inflammatory skin conditions.

Photo of Andrew Stephenson Andrew Stephenson Assistant Whip, Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

All health professionals involved in assessing, caring for and treating people with inflammatory skin conditions should have sufficient and appropriate training and competence.

General practitioners are responsible for ensuring that their own clinical knowledge remains up-to-date, and for identifying learning needs as part of their continuing professional development. This activity should include taking account of new research and developments in guidance, such as that produced by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, to ensure that they have the knowledge and skills relevant to their role as generalist community-based doctors. This includes understanding how to recognise common skin conditions and instigate appropriate treatment.

Individual employers are responsible for investing in post-registration training, ensuring that staff are trained and competent to carry out their role and are adequately supported throughout their training. All training undertaken by post-registration qualified staff should be in line with national and local guidelines covering the training being undertaken. Dermatologists will have knowledge and familiarity with inflammatory skin conditions and should be aware of care pathways for those living with inflammatory skin conditions.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.