Social Services

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered at on 16 November 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Munira Wilson Munira Wilson Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Education)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether his Department has issued recent guidance to local authorities on the level of social care they should provide before requesting the NHS to take responsibility for patient care.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

No such recent guidance has been issued. The National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care was last updated in 2022, and is available at the following link:

Under the Care Act 2014, local authorities must assess any adult where it appears the adult may have needs for care and support. Where an individual has healthcare needs such that it appears they may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC), the local authority must refer the individual to the National Health Service, who may assess them. Where an individual has been assessed as having a ‘primary health need’ following a CHC assessment the NHS funds their healthcare and associated social care needs in any non-acute setting. If a person is not eligible for CHC, they may potentially receive NHS-funded Nursing Care or a joint package of health and social care which is funded by both the NHS and the local authority.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.