Housing: Green Belt

Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities written question – answered at on 23 October 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachael Maskell Rachael Maskell Labour/Co-operative, York Central

To ask the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, what his Department’s policy is on the building of (a) Traveller sites and (b) other forms of housing on greenfield land.

Photo of Rachel Maclean Rachel Maclean The Minister of State, Home Department, Minister of State (Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities)

The Planning Policy for Traveller Sites sets out that local planning authorities should limit very strictly new traveller site development in open countryside away from existing settlements or outside areas allocated in the development plan. Local Planning Authorities should ensure that sites in rural areas respect the scale of, and do not dominate, the nearest settled community, and avoid placing undue pressure on local infrastructure.

Regarding other forms of housing, the National Planning Policy Framework states that planning policies and decisions should avoid the development of isolated homes in the countryside unless certain circumstances apply, such as an essential need for a rural worker, or design of exceptional quality. To promote sustainable development in rural areas, housing should be located where it will enhance or maintain the vitality of rural communities.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.