Buildings: Insulation

Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities written question – answered on 6 September 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Hilary Benn Hilary Benn Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

To ask the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, whether he is taking steps to help leaseholders who cannot sell their homes due to managing agents not providing deeds of certificate for cladding.

Photo of Lee Rowley Lee Rowley Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities)

The lack of a landlord's certificate, should not, in most cases, be a barrier to the sale of a property over 11 metres. If a landlord does not provide a valid landlord's certificate within 4 weeks of a leaseholder requesting a certificate (if necessary, via the managing agent), they will be unable legally to pass costs for remediation onto qualifying leaseholders.

A leaseholder can evidence they qualify to receive the protections from remediation costs in the Building Safety Act by completing a leaseholder deed of certificate. This certificate should be sufficient evidence for a lender to consider a mortgage application for a building with building safety issues; major mortgage lenders (covering 70% of the UK mortgage market) have committed to this in a joint statement.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.