Self-employed: Training

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 7 September 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Emma Hardy Emma Hardy Shadow Minister (Flooding, Oceans and Coastal Communities)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what steps his Department is taking to help support self-employed people with the cost of work-related training.

Photo of Guy Opperman Guy Opperman The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Claimants who have been assessed as “gainfully self-employed”, whose self-employment is their main source of earnings and is regular, organised, developed and in pursuit of profit are supported by an enhanced self-employment work coach for up to 12 months when they become self-employed for the first time. Their work coach can sign-post them to free external sources of advice and training where this is available to help them develop their business. This includes Local Enterprise Partnership Growth Hubs which are funded by the Department of Business and Trade.

Claimants who have self-employed earnings but who have been assessed as “not gainfully self-employed” can receive support to develop their self-employment through DWP’s contracted employment programmes if they meet the relevant eligibility criteria.

The Department for Work and Pension’s Flexible Support Fund can also be used to pay for training for claimants, including those who are self-employed, in certain circumstances.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.