Employment: British National (Overseas)

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 10 July 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Sobel Alex Sobel Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether his Department is taking steps to support those on a British National (Overseas) Visa to enter work.

Photo of Guy Opperman Guy Opperman The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Individuals who have a British National (Overseas) visa have the right to work and study in the UK, but in most circumstances would have a No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) condition attached to their visa. DWP has no powers to award Universal Credit to those with NRPF.

They can apply to have their NRPF condition lifted by making a ‘change of condition’ application if they are destitute or at risk of destitution, if the welfare of their child is at risk due to their low income, or where there are other exceptional financial circumstances. If this application is successful then they can apply for Universal Credit and access the full range of DWP employment services.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.