Sudan: Refugees

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 31 May 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Matt Vickers Matt Vickers Conservative, Stockton South

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what recent steps his Department has taken to help support UK citizens who have family that are leaving Sudan; and whether his Department plans to take steps to support their safe transportation to the UK.

Photo of Andrew Mitchell Andrew Mitchell Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) (Minister for Development), Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) (Minister for Development and Africa)

Since 25 April, the UK has supported the departure of 2,450 people, including British nationals and dependants out of Sudan. The UK Government continues to provide limited consular assistance to British nationals still in Sudan. Those who have left by alternative means to neighbouring countries are receiving consular support on a case-by-case basis.  British nationals who require assistance can call us 24/7. Sudanese nationals who have travelled to a third country and wish to join family members in the UK will need to apply for a visa, if they do not already have the right to enter the UK. Further information can be found online at GOV.UK.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.