Social Rented Housing: Veterans

Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities written question – answered at on 2 May 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Charlotte Nichols Charlotte Nichols Labour, Warrington North

To ask the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, if he will take steps to disapply the local connection tests for veterans seeking social housing who left service over five years ago.

Photo of Dehenna Davison Dehenna Davison Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities)

The Government recognises the special position of members of the Armed Forces and their families.

We have changed the law so that those serving in the Armed Forces as well as former Service personnel with urgent housing needs are always given 'additional preference' for social housing.

Statutory guidance is clear that members of the regular Armed Forces, their bereaved spouses and civil partners, and seriously injured reservists, must not be disqualified for an allocation of social housing because they lack a local connection to an area.

The guidance also makes it clear that local authorities are expected to disapply any local connection requirement from divorced or separated spouses or civil partners of Service personnel who are required to move out of accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.