Marriage: Fraud

Home Office written question – answered on 8th March 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Hilary Benn Hilary Benn Labour, Leeds Central

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, to which part of her Department people who believe their marriage to a foreign citizen is fraudulent should report this information.

Photo of Robert Jenrick Robert Jenrick The Minister for Immigration

Where a relationship has broken down, the UK sponsor of the relationship can report this to the Home Office on GOV.UK at the following address:

Visas when you separate or divorce: Tell the Home Office - GOV.UK (

Each referral to the Home Office will be considered on an individual basis and a decision will be taken as to whether it is appropriate to cancel the former partner’s permission to stay in the UK.

Where a migrant has no remaining leave or if the sponsor wishes to report that they believe they have been a victim of a sham or fraudulent marriage, a report can be made at the following address:

Report an immigration or border crime - GOV.UK (

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.