Social Services: Living Wage

Department for Business and Trade written question – answered on 22nd March 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Taylor of Warwick Lord Taylor of Warwick Non-affiliated

To ask His Majesty's Government what steps they will take to help the care sector pay their employees the Living Wage.

Photo of Lord Johnson of Lainston Lord Johnson of Lainston Minister of State (Department for Business and Trade)

All businesses – irrespective of their size or business sector – are responsible for paying the correct National Living Wage (NLW) /National Minimum Wage (NMW) to their staff. The Government is making available up to £7.5 billion in additional funding over two years to support adult social care and discharge - with up to £2.8 billion available in 2023/24 and £4.7 billion in 2024/25. This funding boost will put the adult social care system on a stronger financial footing and help Local Authorities address waiting lists, low fee rates, and workforce pressures in the sector.

If any care worker is concerned that they are being underpaid, we strongly urge them to call the Acas helpline (0300 123 1100) for free, impartial and confidential advice about their rights and entitlements. Acas officers will pass on cases to HM Revenue and Customs for further consideration where appropriate.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.