Embassies: China

Home Office written question – answered on 8 February 2023.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stephen Hammond Stephen Hammond Conservative, Wimbledon

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps her Department is taking to help protect people from Hong Kong who want to protest near the Chinese Embassy and Consulate in the UK.

Photo of Chris Philp Chris Philp The Minister of State, Home Department

Articles 10 and 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights set out that everyone has the right to freedom of expression, assembly and association. This government will support these rights, including the right of individuals to engage in peaceful protest.

It is a long-standing tradition in this country that people are free to gather together and to demonstrate their views, provided that they do so within the law.

The management of demonstrations is an operational matter for the police. In certain circumstances, the police have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect those who want to exercise their rights peacefully.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.