Home Office written question – answered on 20 September 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Christopher Pincher Christopher Pincher Independent, Tamworth

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether she has considered further steps to effectively remove activists who have set up permanent protest camps in areas (a) where they are trespassing and (b) in Historic Environment Character Zones.

Photo of Jeremy Quin Jeremy Quin The Minister of State, Home Department

There is a range of civil and criminal remedies available to remove trespassers from land. Where a criminal offence is committed, the police have the powers they need to respond.

Under the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022, the government broadened the range of circumstances in which the police can use their powers to direct trespassers to leave. The broader powers capture all forms of damage, disruption and distress. This will improve the police’s abilities to respond to certain protest camps. Additionally, the Public Order Bill will criminalise tactics such as tunnelling, on both public and private land, which cause serious disruption as well as substantial damage to land.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.