Afghanistan: Refugees

Ministry of Defence written question – answered on 5th August 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nusrat Ghani Nusrat Ghani Conservative, Wealden

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer of 22 June 2022 to Question 19629 on Afghanistan: Refugees, if he will publish a list of the partners in the region referred to in that Answer; how many fully documented ARAP cases were awaiting processing in the latest period for which figures are available; on what date the oldest fully documented ARAP visa application case awaiting a visa was submitted; and how his Department determines whether an applicant has died before a visa is processed.

Photo of James Heappey James Heappey The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence

We continue to work alongside international partners to relocate eligible Afghans through third countries. Beyond the obvious and hugely appreciated co-operation with Pakistan, other governments in the region have asked that their support is not made public. We respect their wishes and are grateful for their support.

As of 29 June 2022, we have approximately 200 ARAP principal applicants who have received their ARAP offer letters and whose relocation to the UK we are currently processing.

Every ARAP application, including those that are ARAP eligible, is complex with a range of individual circumstances to consider, and we are unable to provide a specific number of those who are documented and those who are not. We continue to support those eligible in their relocation to the UK, as required on a case-by-case basis.

The earliest case awaiting a visa relates to an ARAP visa application made on 19 October 2021.

As confirmed in my answer to Question 19629, no cases have been closed because of the death of an applicant. ARAP caseworkers are in regular contact with eligible persons and will take appropriate steps should they be notified of a death.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.