Overseas Students: Hong Kong

Department for Education written question – answered on 21st June 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Munira Wilson Munira Wilson Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Education)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps his Department is taking to support students from Hong Kong in the UK; and if he will extend home fees status to British National Overseas students.

Photo of Michelle Donelan Michelle Donelan Minister of State (Department for Education) (Higher and Further Education)

To qualify for home fee status in England, a person must have settled status or a recognised connection to the UK. This includes persons who are covered by the EU Withdrawal Agreement, have long residence in this country or who have been granted international protection by the Home Office.

Subject to meeting the normal eligibility requirements, Hong Kong British Nationals (Overseas) status holders will be able to qualify for home fee status once they have acquired settled status in the UK, as is the case for the majority of persons who are on a five-year route to settlement.

Universities are autonomous institutions and are responsible for setting their own fees consistently with any applicable regulations.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.