Visas: Applications

Home Office written question – answered on 21st June 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Davis David Davis Conservative, Haltemprice and Howden

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the average time taken is for UK Visas and Immigration to process a visa application.

Photo of Kevin Foster Kevin Foster The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department

UKVI offers a range of service levels for applications which include Standard service (15 working days), Priority service (5 working days), and Super Priority service (next day) after a customer has provided their biometrics.

UKVI made a decision to prioritise the Ukraine Schemes following the invasion of Ukraine by Russia. Resources are now being returned to focus on visa routes impacted by these prioritisation decisions which will reduce average processing times in due course.

We continue to prioritise any urgent compelling or compassionate cases across all workstreams and are working to reduce the current processing times as quickly as possible.

For Standard applications lodged outside the UK, the current average processing time is as follows:

  • Visitors – 6 weeks
  • Students – 5 weeks
  • Work – 5 weeks
  • Joining Family – up to 24 weeks

Further information can be found at Visa decision waiting times: applications outside the UK - GOV.UK ( and this is regularly updated.

For Standard applications lodged inside the UK, the current average processing times are not published though all routes are currently within the published service standards which are:

  • Switching/Extending a Student, Family, Ancestry, Work, Visitor, or Graduate Visa – 8 weeks
  • Switching/Extending a Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa – 12 weeks
  • Applying for Settlement - within 6 months

Further information is published at Visa decision waiting times: applications inside the UK - GOV.UK (

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.