Migrant Workers: Health Professions

Home Office written question – answered on 21st June 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachael Maskell Rachael Maskell Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether she plans to take steps to provide language skills training for refugees who are (a) dentists and (b) in other medical professions in sectors where there is a shortage in the UK.

Photo of Kevin Foster Kevin Foster The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department

The Home Office works closely with other government departments to ensure mainstream English language provision meets the needs of refugees.

Individuals aged 19 or over with refugee status are immediately eligible for funding through the Department for Education’s Adult Education budget. This includes funding for English For Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes.

The Home Office also provides a tariff per person to Local Authorities in return for providing a package of support to each refugee arriving via one of the UK’s formal resettlement schemes, including an £850 payment for English Language training.

As set out in the New Plan for Immigration, we will enhance support provided to refugees by developing a package of tailored support such as language training, skills development and work placements to help them integrate into UK society and become self-sufficient more quickly.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.