Asylum: Employment

Home Office written question – answered on 1st June 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Angela Crawley Angela Crawley Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Defence Procurement), Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Attorney General)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to the Answer of 18 May 2022 to Question 847, on Asylum: Employment, what steps her Department is taking to promote employment support to (a) refugees and b) people entering the UK as part of a resettlement scheme.

Photo of Kevin Foster Kevin Foster The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department

Those granted refugee status or humanitarian protection, as well as those arriving under one of the UK’s resettlement schemes, have immediate access to the labour market and welfare benefits. If in receipt of Universal Credit, they can receive employment support from the Department for Work and Pensions.

For those arriving through one of the UK’s resettlement schemes, the Home Office funds local and regional authorities to provide a package of support. As part of this, authorities are responsible for ensuring that arrivals are provided with a dedicated source of advice and support to assist with registering for mainstream benefits and services, including assistance with access to employment.

For those who were asylum seekers, we provide a further 28 days' support after the grant of refugee status to help with the transition to the mainstream benefits system. This Move-On service includes advice and assistance in relation to applying for Universal Credit and employment support.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.