Trial of Lunatics Act 1883

Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 16th May 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Theresa Villiers Theresa Villiers Conservative, Chipping Barnet

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, if he will make it his policy to change the title of the Trial of Lunatics Act 1883 to the Criminal Procedure (Special Verdict) Act.

Photo of James Cartlidge James Cartlidge Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Ministry of Justice) , Assistant Whip

The Trial of Lunatics Act 1883 uses outdated terms, and I am sympathetic to the request to change these.

It is not possible to formally amend the title of an existing Act, but it is possible to change the way to which the existing Act is referred. This requires primary legislation, so until a suitable legislative vehicle has been identified we are unable to look at this further.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.