Air Pollution

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 22nd April 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Geraint Davies Geraint Davies Labour, Swansea West

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what action he is taking to reduce emissions of non-methane volatile organic compounds from the food and beverage industry.

Photo of Jo Churchill Jo Churchill The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Pollution from large food, drink and milk manufacturers in England and Wales is controlled through the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016, which requires operators to have an environmental permit and use best available techniques (BAT) to reduce emissions to air, water, and land. In England, the Environment Agency performs regular audits to ensure compliance with emission requirements set in the permit.

The Food, Drink and Milk BAT Conclusions set out the abatement technologies and methods operators should put in place, as well as emissions limits. They were reviewed in December 2019 to set stricter emissions standards. Existing permits are currently being reviewed to ensure compliance with the new standards.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.