Private Rented Housing: Council Tax

Treasury written question – answered at on 11 February 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Catherine West Catherine West Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs)

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, what steps he will take to ensure that the £150 one-off council tax rebate will be given directly to renters and not to their landlords, in cases where the tenant pays their council tax through their landlord and not directly.

Photo of Simon Clarke Simon Clarke The Chief Secretary to the Treasury

The Council Tax Energy Rebate will be paid to whoever is responsible for paying the Council Tax bill. It is for tenants and landlords to agree how the rebate is apportioned between them, reflecting their arrangements for both energy bills and council tax. In cases where landlords include just council tax within the rents they charge, and energy bills are paid separately by tenants, the savings from the Council Tax rebate should be passed on to tenants.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.