Immigration: Afghanistan

Home Office written question – answered on 25th January 2022.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Goodlad Lord Goodlad Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether they intend to give (1) former interpreters, and (2) the families of these interpreters, from Afghanistan indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK; and if so, when.

Photo of Baroness Williams of Trafford Baroness Williams of Trafford The Minister of State, Home Department

The Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) was launched on 1 April 2021, offering relocation to former Locally Employed Staff in Afghanistan who have been assessed to be at serious risk as a result of their work. Work is underway across the whole of Government to ensure the Afghans who stood side by side with us in conflict, their families and those at highest risk who have been evacuated, are supported as they now rebuild their lives in the UK.

All those brought to the UK under the ARAP scheme will have the right to work, access to education and healthcare, and will be able to apply for public funds.

The Home Office has established a dedicated caseworking team, which is working jointly with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and the Ministry of Defence. This team will contact all those who arrived to discuss their leave arrangements and ensure they get the right form of leave.

Details of the type of leave to be granted to those arriving from Afghanistan, and how they will be supported in obtaining this leave, can be found in the Afghanistan Resettlement and Immigration policy statement.

The policy statement can be viewed here: in a new tab)

Further information regarding Locally employed staff, can be found here:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.