South Africa: Civil Disorder

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 6th September 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachael Maskell Rachael Maskell Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what consular (a) assistance and (b) advice his Department has put in place for British nationals residing in areas of South Africa in response to the recent outbreak of violence in that country.

Photo of James Duddridge James Duddridge Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

We are concerned by the recent violence in South Africa. The UK supports President Ramaphosa's emphasis on the importance of the rule of law. Our Integrated Review sets out the UK's commitment to fighting threats to democratic values and open societies around the world.

We regularly encourage British nationals in South Africa to monitor FCDO travel advice, as well as local media for real-time information about their area. We updated our travel advice continuously during the unrest in July, including via our social media channels.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.