South Africa: Civil Disorder

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 6th September 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachael Maskell Rachael Maskell Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what assistance his Department has provided to UK nationals residing in areas of South Africa affected by recent violence and looting; and what advice his Department is offering to those who may be trapped in their homes as a result of that disruption without access to food and essential supplies.

Photo of James Duddridge James Duddridge Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

We are concerned by the recent violence in South Africa. The UK supports President Ramaphosa's emphasis on the importance of the rule of law. The Integrated Review sets out the UK's commitment to fighting threats to democratic values and open societies around the world.

The South African Government put a number of measures in place to restore calm and secure shopping malls, petrol stations and key transport routes, including the deployment of the South African National Defence Force to support the police.

We regularly encourage British nationals in South Africa to monitor FCDO travel advice, as well as local media for real-time information about their area. We updated our travel advice continuously during the unrest in July, including via our social media channels. For British Nationals requiring assistance in South Africa our High Commission is contactable 24/7. They can call +27 12 421 7500 and follow the prompts for consular assistance.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.