Pupils: Personal Records

Department for Education written question – answered on 16th July 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mark Jenkinson Mark Jenkinson Conservative, Workington

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps he is taking to ensure that information on a pupil's (a) family status and (b) known issues at home are routinely transferred from primary to secondary school.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

Keeping children safe in education (KCSIE) is statutory guidance that all schools and colleges must have regard to when carrying out their duties to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. Following Government consultation, this guidance has recently been strengthened to provide schools and colleges with even more detailed advice. Details are available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/keeping-children-safe-in-education--2.

KCSIE sets out that all concerns, discussions and decisions made, and the reasons for those decisions, should be recorded in writing. Information should be kept confidential and stored securely. It is good practice to keep concerns and referrals in a separate child protection file for each child. Records should include a clear and comprehensive summary of the concern, details of how the concern was followed up and resolved, and a note of any action taken, decisions reached and the outcome. The designated safeguarding lead is responsible for the maintenance and transfer of child protection files.

KCSIE is clear that where children leave a school or college, including in-year transfers, the designated safeguarding lead should ensure that their child protection file is transferred to the new school or college as soon as possible, and within five days for an in-year transfer or within the first five days of the start of a new term. This should be transferred separately from the main pupil file, ensuring secure transit, and confirmation of receipt should be obtained. In addition to the child protection file, the designated safeguarding lead should also consider whether it would be appropriate to share any additional information with the new school or college in advance of a child leaving, to help them put in place the right support to safeguard the child.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.