Prisoners' Release

Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 8th July 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lyn Brown Lyn Brown Shadow Minister (Justice)

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, with reference to page 10 of the Young Offender Institutions (YOIs) in England 2019-20 annual report, published by Independent Monitoring Boards in June 2021, what discussions he has had with the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government on the timely provision of accommodation and support for looked after young people and prison leavers, especially for those released after their 18th birthday by local authorities.

Photo of Alex Chalk Alex Chalk Assistant Whip, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice

For children and young people leaving custody, it is vital for accommodation to be arranged sufficiently in advance of their release date and we are implementing a range of measures to improve the timeliness of accommodation provision. The Youth Custody Service is reforming resettlement planning in the four public sector Young Offender Institutions to ensure that planning begins at the start of a child’s sentence, which will improve the timeliness of arrangements for accommodation and wider resettlement support. In addition, the Ministry of Justice, in collaboration with the Department for Education and Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, is exploring additional options to improve the timeliness and suitability of accommodation provision for children and young people leaving custody.

Young people released after their 18th birthday will have access to temporary accommodation through our £20 million investment package for prison leavers at risk of homelessness. Accommodation will be provided for up to 12 weeks alongside support into long-term settled accommodation. This initiative will support 3,000 young people and adults leaving custody in its first year.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.