Overseas Students: Hong Kong

Department for Education written question – answered on 9th July 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jon Trickett Jon Trickett Labour, Hemsworth

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what discussions he has had with his Hong Kong counterparts on international school students from Hong Kong who are unable to return to their families as a result of covid-19 restrictions and will be stranded in the UK for the summer 2021 holidays and whose schools will have closed.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

We remain in close contact with the Hong Kong SAR Government in order to minimise disruption to UK and Hong Kong families and businesses. We will continue to work together to reduce the restrictions on international travel.

We are working on a number of possible outcomes for those pupils who are currently unable to get home. Some boarding schools will make arrangements for them to stay there, or perhaps go to another boarding school if necessary. Some may also be able to stay with guardians, or perhaps family in the UK, where that is an option.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.