Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 21st June 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachael Maskell Rachael Maskell Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what training is provided (a) in medical schools, (b) for GPs and (c) for hospital doctors on (a) ME and (b) similar conditions.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

Each individual medical school in the England sets its own undergraduate curriculum which must meet the standards set by the General Medical Council (GMC), as the regulator of the medical profession. The GMC would expect that, in fulfilling these standards, newly qualified doctors are able to identify and treat or manage any care needs a person has, including relating to chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and other similar conditions.

CFS/ME and similar conditions are also specifically included in postgraduate medical curricula for general practice and for other specialties where it is most likely to be encountered, such as paediatrics, tropical medicine and allergy and immunology. The training curricula for postgraduate trainee doctors is set by the relevant Royal College and must also meet the standards set by the GMC.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.