Counselling and Psychiatry: Domestic Abuse

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 27th April 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Simon Jupp Simon Jupp Conservative, East Devon

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what plans he has to bring forward legislation to criminalise controlling or coercive behaviour by people providing psychotherapy or counselling services.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

We have no plans to do so.

Anyone seeking out the services of a psychotherapist or counsellor can check that they are on an Accredited Voluntary Register accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA). The PSA provides assurances of voluntary registers of health and care professionals and currently accredits 10 registers relating to psychotherapy and counselling covering around 50,000 talking therapy professionals.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.