St Vincent and the Grenadines: Volcanoes

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 28th April 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of The Earl of Sandwich The Earl of Sandwich Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government what support they have (1) offered, and (2) provided, to engineers in St Vincent and the Grenadines to help with (a) the restoration of water and electricity supplies, and (b) the construction of shelters for evacuees, following the volcanic eruptions.

Photo of Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

We are monitoring the situation in St Vincent and the Grenadines closely and our thoughts are with those affected by the eruptions.

Urgently needed technical experts will support relief efforts on the ground, support emergency telecommunications, and restore critical lifeline facilities, such as water, health, agriculture and electricity. UK funding of £200,000 to the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA) is helping fund such work. We will continue to work with CDEMA the UN Agencies, and Red Cross Societies to provide further support if required.

The UK stands ready to extend further technical support to St Vincent and the Grenadines as it grapples with the longer-term impacts of the eruptions.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.