English Language: Education

Home Office written question – answered on 24th February 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Sobel Alex Sobel Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what support the Government is providing to the English language teaching sector following the UK's departure from the EU.

Photo of Kevin Foster Kevin Foster The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department

The Government has reformed and simplified immigration routes to ensure the English language teaching sector can recruit international students, including those from the EU.

The Visitor route now enables a student to study English at an accredited institution in the UK for up to 6 months.

The bespoke Short-term Study (English language) route is still available for longer periods of English language study. Students, aged over 16, can study an English language course for up to 11 months on this route.

Students who wish to study English for longer periods and at higher levels can use the Student route of the points-based immigration system. The Student route has been simplified and streamlined compared to the previous Tier 4 route, making it easily for students to apply to study within the UK, and significantly improving on our offer in the global marketplace.

The Government recognises the impact of COVID-19 on the English language teaching sector. A series of COVID-19 concessions have been implemented to support the education sector and international students. This includes permitting students to study remotely and ensuring students aren’t penalised for circumstances outside their control.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.