Central African Republic: Politics and Government

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 12th February 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of The Marquess of Lothian The Marquess of Lothian Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the current situation in the Central African Republic; and what action they are taking to support the UN Secretary-General in his call for all parties in that country to cease hostilities ahead of the second round of legislative elections expected on 14 February.

Photo of Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

The Government is concerned about the humanitarian and security situation in the Central African Republic (CAR) following presidential and legislative elections. Ahead of the second round of legislative elections on 14 February, we have repeatedly called on all parties to cease violence including through a UN Security Council (UNSC) statement and a tweet from the Minister for Africa, both of which were issued on 21 January. On 24 February the UK, as President of the UNSC for the month, will chair a meeting on CAR to re-assess the situation a month after its last discussion, renew its calls for a cessation of hostilities and consider any further action.

The UK supported election preparations in CAR through a £500,000 contribution to the UN Development Programme's basket fund for elections, to support procurement of critical election materials and greater participation of women and marginalised groups. The UK contributes approximately £40 million annually to the UN peacekeeping mission (MINUSCA) which continues to provide security across the country. The UK is also contributing £21.5 million towards the humanitarian effort in 2020/2021, delivering emergency health, nutrition, food security and livelihoods support to a million Central Africans.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.