British Nationals Abroad: EU Countries

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 12th February 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of The Earl of Clancarty The Earl of Clancarty Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government how exempted professionals, including those in IT and engineering, who are UK citizens and resident in the EU should evidence their status on entry to an EU country under the UK–EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

Photo of Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

The Withdrawal Agreement protects UK nationals and their family members who were lawfully resident in the EU by the end of the transition period, on 31 December 2020. Those in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement and their family members are exempt from the EU's temporary restrictions on non-essential travel due to Covid-19 and have a right to enter, exit and transit to their host Member State. To evidence their status, UK nationals must carry evidence of their residence in the EU, as well as a valid passport, to travel. Boarding should be permitted upon presentation of a residence permit; a certificate of application; a frontier worker permit; or any document that credibly evidences their status under the Withdrawal Agreement. Documents that could be used include proof of an EU address; payslips issued by an EU employer; EU bank account statements; or utility bills evidencing an EU address.

The separate provisions in the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement on entry and temporary stay for business purposes apply to UK nationals living in the EU, in EU countries other than their Member State of residence or frontier work, in the same way as they do to UK nationals living in the UK. Member State rules vary and business travellers should check, prior to travelling, if they need a visa, work permit or other documentation. If a visa or work permit is needed, business travellers should apply well in advance of any travel. The Travel Advice pages published by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office provide the most up to date information on travelling to European countries.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.