Foreign Students: EU Countries

Department for Education written question – answered on 12th February 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Blomfield Paul Blomfield Labour, Sheffield Central

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps his Department is taking to support UK students wishing to study in the EU with visa fees.

Photo of Michelle Donelan Michelle Donelan Minister of State (Education)

It is, and has always been, a matter for individual governments to decide on the level of visa fees that they charge and to whom the fees apply.

UK nationals who are studying in the EU in any capacity should consult their higher education (HE) provider to establish whether any support is available, noting that UK nationals who are on placements or exchanges as part of a UK course may be eligible for maintenance support if enrolled at a UK HE provider.

Cultural exchanges help to build important business, political and diplomatic bridges around the world. The Turing Scheme is the UK government’s global programme to study and work abroad, providing funding for students at UK institutions to travel abroad.

Disadvantaged participants on the Turing Scheme placements will be eligible to receive actual costs for additional travel expenses, including costs of visas, as well as passports, and health insurance.

Information on entry requirements and visas is available on the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice pages. Additional information about moving to EU Member States can be found in the FCDO’s ‘Living in country guides’.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.