Palliative Care: Third Sector

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 22nd April 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachael Maskell Rachael Maskell Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of the State for Health and Social Care, if his Department will make an assessment of the potential merits of ringfenced funding to ensure that local authorities are able to fund voluntary sector children’s palliative care providers to sustainably provide short respite breaks for seriously ill children.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

There are no plans to make this specific assessment.

Local authorities have a statutory duty to assess the social care needs of disabled children and young people and to provide respite care where necessary. Where it is appropriate, local authorities can fund respite care provided by hospices, either as a short-term stay or as a service provided to the child or young person in the family home by the hospice team. Local authorities and clinical commissioning groups regularly liaise to plan and commission the most appropriate package of respite care for the children and young people with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions in their area.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.