Bereavement Support Payment

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 21st January 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Randerson Baroness Randerson Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Transport)

To ask Her Majesty's Government what percentage of individuals who are entitled to claim Bereavement Support Payments fail to do so; and how information on these payments and their criteria for eligibility are disseminated to the general public.

Photo of Baroness Stedman-Scott Baroness Stedman-Scott The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Bereavement Support Payment (BSP) was introduced in April 2017, to replace Widowed Parent’s Allowance, Bereavement Allowance and Bereavement Payments. To date no assessment has been made of what percentage of individuals, who are entitled to claim Bereavement Support Payments, fail to do so.

Information is available which aims to ensure people are aware of bereavement support payment and how to claim it. The way such information is made available is under constant review. As well as traditional sources of information (such as leaflets), we have worked with funeral directors, Registrars and voluntary groups to try to ensure people are fully informed of the action to take following the loss of a husband, wife or civil partner. Further information about the benefits to which they are entitled and how to claim them can be found on the government services and information website at

Following the report of a death to the department’s ‘DWP Bereavement Service’, an eligibility check for BSP will be undertaken, and a claim can be taken over the phone. If a death is reported via the ‘Tell Us Once service’, the customer will receive a notification stating that there may be financial support available from the department. The notification includes the telephone number for DWP Bereavement Service and the link.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.