Sleeping Rough: Young People

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 15th January 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Neil Coyle Neil Coyle Labour, Bermondsey and Old Southwark

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what plans his Department has to ensure that local authorities can adequately support the increasing number of young people who are sleeping rough in winter 2020-21.

Photo of Kelly Tolhurst Kelly Tolhurst Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

This Government is committed to ending rough sleeping. We have taken huge steps working with local authorities and their partners to protect rough sleepers during the pandemic and through the winter.

The Protect programme, in particular, is backed by £15 million and will help areas that need additional support most during the restrictions and throughout winter. It builds on the success of ‘Everyone In’, which is ongoing and has so far helped to protect thousands of lives during the pandemic. By September it had supported over 29,000 people; with over 10,000 in emergency accommodation and nearly 19,000 moved on into settled accommodation.

We have also announced additional support over the winter period including the £10 million Cold Weather Fund and £2 million Transformation Fund.

All councils have been asked to update their rough sleeping plans and to carry out a rapid assessment of need for everyone they accommodate and to consider time limited interventions for those new to rough sleeping.

We have bespoke support for local authorities through our Homelessness Advice and Support Team, which includes dedicated youth homelessness advisors that have a commitment to work with local authorities to promote positive joint working across housing authorities and children’s services, offering training, advice and support to all local authorities.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.