British Nationals Abroad: EU Countries

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office written question – answered on 11th January 2021.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Neil Coyle Neil Coyle Labour, Bermondsey and Old Southwark

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what steps he will take to ensure UK nationals can qualify for an Article 50 Permit, where their move to the EU has been delayed until after the end of the transition period as a result of the suspension of travel between the UK and European destinations.

Photo of Wendy Morton Wendy Morton Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

Despite the travel disruption caused by Covid-19, the conditions of the Withdrawal Agreement, as set in domestic and international law, remain the same. To be in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement and therefore be eligible to obtain a residence document issued in accordance with it, UK nationals must have been lawfully resident in an EU Member State before the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020. Those who move to the EU after the transition period will not be in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement unless they are a close family member of someone who is in scope, provided the relationship was established prior to the end of the transition period. Children born before or after the end of the transition period, to parents protected by the Withdrawal Agreement, are also entitled to join them. The Government has made this information available to UK nationals in our communications throughout negotiations and during the transition period, including in our Living in Guides on

UK nationals who planned to move to the EU and secure rights under the Withdrawal Agreement ahead of the end of the transition period, have been able to travel to the EU despite Covid-19 travel restrictions.

Although the transition period is over, citizens' rights will remain a key priority for the Government.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.