Immigration: Finance

Home Office written question – answered on 14th December 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chi Onwurah Chi Onwurah Shadow Minister (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many families have no recourse to public funds in (a) the UK, (b) North East and (c) Newcastle.

Photo of Chris Philp Chris Philp The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department

The information you have requested is not currently published by the department. The department has written to the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA) with regard to this matter. Please see the link below:

In the Chief Statistician’s response to the UKSA, we committed to investigate whether there is data held by the Department which can inform understanding of the effect of the NRPF condition. Following our investigation, we have published information relating to change of conditions. The recent update to the Migration Transparency data in relation to change of conditions which was published on 26 November 2020, broke the data down in to further subsets of age, gender and nationality.

As the Home Office has set out to the UKSA, there are a number of reasons why it is not of practical application for the Home Office to produce an estimate of the total population subject to NRPF at any one time.

Home Office administrative data only captures information on whether visas are subject to NRPF conditions for in-country extensions. The information is not available for applications from overseas which form the majority of applications.

The information captured by the Home Office does not take into account individuals who have left the country or all those in the UK without lawful status. Therefore, they cannot be used to accurately measure the resident population subject to no recourse to public funds at any one time.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.