Self-employed: Coronavirus

Treasury written question – answered on 10th December 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tracy Brabin Tracy Brabin Shadow Minister (Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, on what date he last met with representatives from organisations representing PAYE freelancers who are ineligible for the (a) Self-Employment Income Support Scheme and (b) Coronavirus Job Support Scheme.

Photo of Jesse Norman Jesse Norman The Financial Secretary to the Treasury

Treasury ministers and officials have had meetings with a variety of organisations in the public and private sectors (including MPs, businesses, professional representative bodies, and the unions) throughout the development of the COVID-19 support package, including both the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme and the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. The Government has engaged widely, including with IPSE, the TUC and other organisations who represent the self-employed.

The Government’s proactive approach to stakeholder engagement has been recognised by the Institute for Government, who said: “The government’s approach to consultation compensated for some of the difficulties of accelerated policy development, because it gave it fast access to information, and an early sense of whether the measures would work and how they would be received by businesses and workers. This contributed to both positive reception on announcement and successful roll-out.”

Details of ministerial and permanent secretary meetings with external organisations on departmental business are published on a quarterly basis and are available on GOV.UK.

The Treasury continues to speak to stakeholders, and has met with representatives including from the ExcludedUK campaign group, the Chair of the Gaps in Support APPG, Refused Furlough Support Group, Forgotten Ltd, Maternity Petition and Forgotten PAYE, alongside MPs.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.