The review and evaluation of the compliant environment will look at all the measures individually and then cumulatively, building on existing work.
There are six primary streams to the compliant environment – some of which only apply to England and Wales – which will be covered in our response to this recommendation. These are:
- Work – to prevent those who are ineligible from working;
- Housing – to prevent those without lawful status from accessing the private rental sector.
- Public Funds – to prevent those who are ineligible from accessing mainstream support and benefits;
- Health – to charge upfront for non-urgent health care and recover costs for emergency treatment where payment upfront was not possible;
- Financial Services – to prevent people deemed as disqualified due to lack of lawful status from accessing current accounts;
- Driving – to prevent those without lawful status from holding licences while in the UK.
Wendy Williams will return in September 2021 to review our progress. In line with the wording of recommendation 7, we will publish the outcomes of the review in a timely way. This may include updates to Parliament.