Work Experience: EU Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 1st December 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Thangam Debbonaire Thangam Debbonaire Shadow Secretary of State for Housing

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether young people from EU countries will be allowed to continue to pursue unpaid short-term work placements in the UK without a work permit after the transition period.

Photo of Kevin Foster Kevin Foster The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department

Free Movement will end on 31 December 2020 with the end of the Transition Period. Following the end of the Transition Period EEA and Swiss nationals will be able to continue to travel to the UK for holidays or short-term trips, without needing a visa.

We have set out plans to introduce a future points-based immigration system, which together with our generous list of Permitted Paid Engagements and Activities within the visitor route, will provide a route for workers within the Charity sector to undertake voluntary work within the Tier 5 route.

We have also indicated our desire to negotiate a youth mobility arrangement with the EU, or with individual countries within it, if a collective agreement is not possible. This may also provide a viable route for EU nationals to come to the UK to work on a voluntary basis.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.