Musical Instruments: Northern Ireland

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered at on 23 November 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Aberdare Lord Aberdare Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether UK musicians will need (1) Convention on International Trade In Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora certificates, and (2) Carnets, for instruments being transported from Great Britain to Northern Ireland after 31 December.

Photo of Lord Goldsmith of Richmond Park Lord Goldsmith of Richmond Park The Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Minister of State (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

After the Transition Period, controls implementing the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) will apply to the movement of CITES specimens between Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland (NI). This is as a result of our international obligations under CITES, and the operation of the Northern Ireland Protocol. If a musical instrument contains CITES-listed species (and is not exempted) then CITES documents will be required for movements from GB to NI after 31 December. ATA Carnets cannot be used as an alternative to CITES documentation.

However, after the Transition period, ATA Carnets will become an option for temporarily moving goods between the UK, EU and NI. Use of an ATA Carnet is optional, and it is a commercial decision as to whether it is the most cost-effective method in each specific circumstance.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.