Cerebral Palsy: Health Services

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 15th October 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Vicky Foxcroft Vicky Foxcroft Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps his Department is taking to improve the transition from specialist cerebral palsy services provided for children and young people to adult services.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

No specific assessment has been made. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guideline ‘Transition from children’s to adults’ services for young people using health or social care services’, published February 2016, covers the period before, during and after a young person moves from children's to adults' services. Addressing both health and social care, it aims to make young people and their carers’ experience of transitioning between services better by improving the way it’s planned and carried out. The guideline is available at the following link:


This guideline is used by the Care Quality Commission to inform the inspection process. NICE updated its pathway on the topic in June 2020, bringing together all relevant guidance and quality standards for cerebral palsy. The pathway is available at the following link:


The ‘Cerebral palsy in under 25s: assessment and management’ guideline was published by NICE in January 2017, and covers diagnosing, assessing and managing cerebral palsy in children and young people from birth up to their 25th birthday. The guideline is available at the following link:


Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.