Terrorism: Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland Office written question – answered on 22nd September 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Claire Hanna Claire Hanna Social Democratic and Labour Party, Belfast South

To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, if he will ensure that the UK Government provides adequate funding for the Troubles victims' pension scheme; and what steps he is taking to implement that scheme.

Photo of Robin Walker Robin Walker The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Scotland, The Minister of State, Northern Ireland Office

The UK Government made legislation establishing a victims’ payments scheme in January. The Regulations provide for the Executive Office to be able to provide funding to the Department responsible for supporting the Victims’ Payments Board. The devolved funding settlement means that the Executive is funded through the Block Grant together with its own revenue raising capabilities to fund its statutory responsibilities, including this scheme.

The Government welcomes the designation of the Department of Justice to lead on administrative support for the scheme and the Executive must now deliver on implementation, so that applications can be processed and payments made to victims. We will continue to prioritise supporting the Executive’s delivery of this scheme.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.