Navy: Discharges

Ministry of Defence written question – answered on 22nd September 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Luke Pollard Luke Pollard Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what support his Department provides to veterans of the Royal Navy who believe they have been wrongfully discharged.

Photo of Johnny Mercer Johnny Mercer Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (jointly with the Ministry of Defence)

Processes are in place through which concerns may be raised regarding discharge from the Royal Navy. For non-medical discharges, this is through the Service Complaints or appeal process. For medical discharges, this is via a request for review of the Royal Navy Medical Employability Board decision, as well as an independent appeal process. All recourse to appeal is time limited.

In addition, the Veterans Welfare Services, part of the Ministry of Defence Veterans UK organisation, provides one-to-one support to veterans through a national network of welfare managers. This service can be accessed online at

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.